What is the Sports Premium?
The government is providing funding of £150 million per annum to provide substantial primary school sports funding. This funding is being jointly provided by the Department of Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport, and will see money going directly to primary school headteachers to spend on improving the quality of sport and P.E for all their children. The sport funding can only be spent on sport and P.E provision in schools.
Purpose of the funding
Schools will spend the sport funding on improving their provision of P.E and sport, but they have the freedom to choose how they will do this. Possible uses for the funding include:
- Hiring specialist P.E teachers or qualified sports coaches to work alongside primary teachers when teaching P.E , swimming or Change4Life programmes
- Paying for additional development opportunities in P.E/sport
- Providing cover to release primary teachers for professional development in P.E/sport
- Running sport competitions or increasing participation in competitions and the school games
- Buying quality assured professional development modules or materials for P.E/Sport
- Providing additional places for pupils on after school clubs, or additional clubs to increase the number of children accessing sport/P.E